Vaastu Shastra is the art as well as the science related to the construction and structure of any
building for a flow of positive energy in our surroundings. The designs utilise perfect geometric
patterns, symmetry and directional alignments to enhance the health, wealth, prosperity and
happiness of those living under that roof. This Vedic Science has stood the test of time and
continues to be an important part of our lives even in the modern era.
Astrologer and Vaastu expert, Tanuj Lalchandani, shares few basic Vaastu tips to be kept in
mind for the home.
General Vaastu Tips
- The centre space of the home as well as of individual rooms must be kept empty and devoid of furniture.
- Heavy furniture must be kept in southwest while light furniture should be placed in northeast.
- Keep the home clutter-free and avoid over decorating it.
Vaastu for Bedroom
- The beds should never be placed under the joint in roof or under a beam. They must be kept away from the walls.
- A bed made of wood is the best. Avoid using bed of iron, steel etc.
- The master bedroom should be in the southwest area of the house. This room can be used by father or the eldest son in the family. The children’s bedrooms should be in the northwest or west. Guest bedrooms are best located in the northwest corner but can also be located in the northeast corner.
- At night it is advisable to keep bedroom lit lightly. Never keep the bedroom pitch dark.
- Avoid having a mirror on the wall opposite the foot of your bed as it can disturb your sleep.
Vaastu for Kitchen
- Kitchen should be in the southeast portion of the house. The main entrance to the kitchen
should be in the north, east or in the northeast direction.
- There should be no toilets adjoining, above or below the kitchen.
- If possible, the cooking gas and the washing sink should not be kept very close to each
other. The logic being fire and water always repel each other.
- There should be abundant use of green in the kitchen.
- There should be no leaking taps in the kitchen. This adversely affects the money flow.
Vaastu for Bathroom/Toilets
- The eastern portion of the house is best for constructing a bathroom.
- Toilets should to be in the northwest of the house/building. Avoid constructing a toilet in
the centre of the building and in the northeast of the building.
- The main door of the bathroom should not be facing the mirror.
Vaastu for Living Room
- The living room can be in the northeast for a north or east facing house. For a west facing house, the living room can be in the northwest. For a south facing house, one can settle for a southeast living room.
- The colour of the walls and the flooring can be white, yellow, blue or green. Black or red should be avoided.
- Chandelier should not be fixed right in the center of the room, but can be slightly towards the west, as the central part should not have any heavy weight.
- Portraits of birds, animals, women, weeping children, scenes from the wars etc. should not be displayed in the room. Furniture of this room and arrangement of furniture should be square or rectangular.
- Avoid circular, triangular, egg shaped, hexagonal or odd shapes.
- Playing soft music in the living room also improves the positive energy.
- Aquariums are beneficial to place in the North, East and North-East of living room